My Photo
Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fabric for the Grand Convergence Experiment


Shopping day arrived, and Stephanie and I met at our local quilt shop, that happens to have a ton of fabric.

Since the teal fabric in her "ugly" quilt is a batik, she decided that the fabric to converge should also be batiks.

Looking through the selection of batiks, she came up with 3 fabrics that she liked.

Each one was chosen for a different reason. The purple and fuscia mostly because those are two of her favorite colors, and the yellow because it will add some light contrast.

Because we weren't exactly sure how this quilt will go together, we decided to get 1 1/2 yards of each fabric.

Each of the squares is approximately 18 inches square. It will take 1/2 yard just to cut the two 18 inch squares. And, since we don't know what we will do for borders, we decided to get enough extra to have some flexibility. Plus, Stephanie said "I like those fabrics, and wouldn't mind adding them to my stash."

Next it was time to cut the squares.

Since this took no creativity at all, she allowed me to cut the plain squares of fabric.

First, I folded the new batik so I would be able to cut an 18 inch square from it.

Next, I laid the ugly quilt square on top of the layers of fabric.

And, finally, I cut around the outside of the ugly quilt square.

We now had 2 beautiful batik squares of each color to match with our ugly quilt squares.

And, we're ready to do the fancy cutting - but I'm leaving that up to Stephanie. After all, it's her quilt.

Happy Quilting!
Penny Halgren
TheQuiltingCoach

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home